This morning I went shopping with our helper Malou. Unfortunately I didn't bring my camera with me. I regretted it instantly when I witnessed a butcher chopping a whole pig in half on the floor....It was the whole animal, head and all. I didn't see any refrigerators around either and all the slabs of meat were hanging of hooks of the ceiling and walls. There were baskets with body parts of animals that I couldn't decipher. I saw a steer's head at one point with eyes, horns and all...but no skin. Yuk, you have to have a strong stomach to walk through the market early in the morning. Some more pleasant sights were fishstands with live fish flopping around in tubs (or sometimes in the street if they got 'lucky'), fruitstands with the most exotic looking specimens, like dragon fruit and herbs and spices stands. I have never experienced seeing so many new food items in one day! I am very curious about the names and the use of all the things I saw. I realize I still have lots to learn in this fascinating place....
Another highlight was a noodle store. They had any kind of noodle you could imagine. They make them fresh in the back and I could see this one chinese man covered in flour working the machines. All the equipment and shelves had a coating of white flour on it. The strings of noodle that got pressed out of the machine were caught in baskets. And then packed into portions. We bought 2 kinds, one yellow, one white. It will be interesting to eat these fresh 'wet' noodles.
Tuesday, January 23, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment